As the Lockdown started around the globe in which more than 3.5 billion people locked themselves in their home as preventing the measure from Coronavires pandemic. Most of the people getting sick, stressed, depressed, frustrated and whatnot. But it seems very casual, temporary bad time which will get over after some time by the grace of God. This is how the world seems to be.
I would like to show you another lost world within this world of ignorant. If billions are lockdown in their home there are also millions of innocent children/students who are being arrested and given third-degree torture in their home. How harsh, I am sounding?? Isn’t it??
Of course not, right from day one of the lockdown parents are keeping track on their children as RAW agents because for the first time they have time with their children. And parents are doing their parenting more than required, unfortunately. And that’s not enough, they’re also spying to their neighbours and relatives for knowing in what creative ways they are torturing their children in this lockdown.
Add to this, schools are in cut-throat competition, one after another launching bombs on their students with zero chance of escape. Some giving worksheet, some notes, some video classes, some online classes, some sharing n number of links for the success of the child. This commitment and dedication were never seen when students where live among them. But if technology is there, then trying best to make even dead student alive. Never seen this effort before or during long vacation.
I have few questions, is this lockdown a study leave given to students before appearing in the final exam of their life?
Is this only way to deal with students in this lockdown???
If this lockdown will not be utilized, as if the life of children will be ruined up???
Are students machine if fuel of studies will not be given they will stop functioning???
Have students ever experienced such crisis before as we are experiencing???
Are they emotionless??? Actually, I have lots of questions to ask, but will not torture you, as many of you are torturing small innocent children.
I wish students must have been allowed to live on their condition, for the first time in their home not as a renter but as member of the family. Where they can speak, share, discuss, discourse, debate, decide… On those issues, a topic, a taboo which was never discussed in the family. Family, for the first time, got the opportunity to run democratically. I don’t know how many of us practising it.
I wish school would have given those task to their students, even students can’t believe in their wildest dreams, that even our school care of us and our teachers are a creative genius. This was the time when school and teachers would have developed a good relationship among their students for which they always failed.
Now comes my reflection to deal with this lockdown.
1) School management and teachers may have talked with their students. Just like that, casually. Asking how their life going on? What they are doing? Do they need anything? Everything going well at home? Allowing them to talk and ask questions from you freely. I don’t know how many unanswered questions they may be having in their heart for you??
Believe me, you can’t imagine what kind of result you would have witnessed after practising it???
2) I would have suggested students for being with their grandparents and parents. Talking with them, about their good and bad memories. How they use to live in their time, what difference they find now their old days. Their stories of success and failure in life. Their school experiences, their village experience, their memories of their parents and best friends. Do you think all students are lucky enough today, to talk this much with their parents and grandparents in this so-called modern era???
Believe me, our student’s approach towards the world and their life would have changed.
3) I would have insisted my students for doing household work, like cleaning house, clothes, arranging home, helping parents in their work, learning cooking as an art. Don’t you think they may have developed compassion for those who work for them?? Be it mom, dad or maid or servant. And this learning would have made them a good employer as well as employee and above all good human.
4) I would have given my students freedom of creative work like drawing, painting, art and craft of all kinds, gardening, interior designing, fashion designing, calligraphy, cartoon making and so on. I don’t know how many surprises, would have surprised you??
5) I would have use a very tricky way to involve my students in their studies as well. I would have requested my students to prepare study material of the class which they have just now passed with full liberty of creativity. And put it in the school website. Believe me, you can’t imagine it results. A study material prepared by students, who know the strength and weakness of themselves as well as their classmates, would have come up with something outstanding. And of course, celebrating seeing their study material one school material liked by their Juniors would have never stopped them in searching best study material prepared by their seniors. We missed this chance of learning from our students. Alas!!!
6) We only say NO to everything which our children/students do which we don’t even know about it properly. I would have asked my students to use technology like smartphone and internet, computer and laptop purposefully. Search to learn whatever makes them crazy. Make a video, TikTok, YouTube video, tweet, post on FB or Instagram, for something which can inspire others, share your knowledge, art, talent, findings… Believe me, their approach to technology would have changed.
7) We only demand to read and write, which irritates them. Reason for this irritation is the repetition of the same work again and again. Why we can’t inspire them to read something worth reading or something which they like to read, same with writing, why we don’t challenge them to write something which they would love to write. Because ultimately we want our children to learn this art of reading and writing. But our approach is outdated, question answer, textbook, notebook, that’s it.
8) Since this crisis is rarest of the rare. We must have motivated our students to find ways to help our government in this crisis. We must not forget that children’s mind is very creative, original and pure. They must have come up with various ways by which we would have helped local, state and central government. Children are very competitive, the success of one student’s idea would have inspired thousands. And the result would have been unbelievable.
9) Children are very mobile and it’s natural, restricting them in one place is the toughest punishment you can give them. And in this lockdown, you can understand their pain. We must have guided them on how they can maintain a long-distance relationship without being together with their friends in creative ways. Like writing letters each day for their best friends which they may post after lockdown. Creating a scrapbook of their friend’s photographs, preparing cards and self-made gifts for their friends. Writing story and poems dedicated to their friends.
10) This lockdown was a blessing in disguise because this generation is so much dependent on their parents, maid, servants, teachers, friends… that they can’t do anything on their own. We would have helped them to learn to make themselves self-dependent. Do all work for self-existence. This practice after a few years they’re bound to do. Why not practice it in this lockdown for the future without a struggle.
So, dear friends, we have and we will never use this lockdown as an opportunity. We are using it as a taskmaster with no direction and no result. It’s a lockdown in which our minds are also locked. I wish we could have opened our minds in this lockdown for better tomorrow.